Monday, June 18, 2012

Interview with Blue Jays Draft Pick Nick Lovullo

Nick Lovullo, above, wearing his fathers Number 7!
Nick Lovullo was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 38th round of the 2012 Rule 4 Draft. Nick is the son of Blue Jays 1st Base Coach Tory Lovullo, and is committed to playing college ball at the College of the Holy Cross in Massachusetts, a D1 school. Lovullo hit .200 in his senior year of high school this season, but it was more of a down year for him, as he was hitting close to .400 in the other years of his high school career. I had the pleasure of asking him some questions about his experience being drafted and other things.
What was going through your head when you got drafted?
At first I didn't believe it was true, but after I got the phone call from my dad and a ton a other calls/text messages, I started to realize that I just got drafted by a major league baseball team. The feeling was unbelievable.

What was it like growing up in a baseball family, with your dad playing, and now coaching?
Having my dad in the baseball profession is one I am extremely grateful for. I love spending time with him when I go and visit him and hanging around all the players and coaches. It's something not a lot of kids my age get to experience and I am very appreciative of everything my dad has done for me as far as baseball goes.

Were you expecting to be drafted, or did you think you were going to have to wait another few years?

My dad called me a few days before the draft and said that there was a chance that it would happen, but once it got to the last couple if rounds I didn't think it was going to be my year.
Do you like the direction the Jays are headed in, or would you do something differently?

I love the direction the Jays are headed, they're a young and energetic team who are going to be contenders for a long time to come.
Are you going to sign, or will you be headed to college?

I haven't decided yet, I have a tremendous offer from Holy Cross to play D1 baseball next year, so its going to take a lot from the Jays to get me to miss out on that experience.

I'd like to thank Nick for taking the time to do this, and wish him luck for next season, whether it be for the Jays, or Holy Cross.

Stay tuned for more BlueJaysPlus interviews, as some time in the next two weeks I will be talking to Lansing Lugnuts All Star Jon Berti!

You can follow me on twitter, @gideonturk.
To connect with the site, Follow us on Twitter, and Like us on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment