Thursday, June 7, 2012

Interview with Blue Jays 4th Round Draft Pick Tucker Donahue

Tucker Donahue is a RHP from Coral Springs Florida. Donahue, who was drafted by Texas in 2011, but did not sign, just graduated from Stetson University, and was picked by Andrew Tinnish and the rest of the Blue Jays draft team this past Tuesday. Tucker has signed, but kindly requested not to disclose his signing bonues, all though he told John Manuel of Baseball America that it was 4 digits(Slot of $308,700).Tucker, 6"1 195lbs, went 2-1 with a 5.20 ERA in 28 relief appearances(27 2/3 innings) this season for Stetson, while striking out 27 batters and walking 19. I had the pleasure of talking to Tucker, and this is what he had to say.

What was going through your head when you got drafted?
I was a little shocked when it happened because I had talked to a lot of teams about the top ten rounds, the Blue Jays being one of them, but when they called and asked me in the 4th, I was a little taken back.

Can you tell us Jays fans what you feature in your repertoire, and what speeds you throw each pitch?

I have a 3 pitch repertoire including a fastball, slider and change-up. My fastball is usually between 92-95 MPH and has reached up to 97-98. My slider is typically in the 78-82 MPH range while my change-up is in the 80-83 MPH zone. 

Of those pitches, what is your best pitch, and what is your "Strikeout" pitch?

I'd say my fastball is my best pitch because I have natural movement on the 4 Seam Fastball, along with my velocity.It served as my strikeout pitch at the college level, but I think as my slider develops I will be able to put hitters away with that once I start pitching in the Blue Jays system and beyond.

Did you know you were going to the Blue Jays, or we're other teams also very high on you?

I knew the Blue Jays had a lot of interest in me, but I was also in talks with about 10-15 other teams leading up to and on draft day itself. 

Were you aware that you were going to be drafted in the 4th round, or did you think you would go higher?

No, the 4th round was a bit of a surprise but I did expect to go in the top 10.

What do you think of the new Blue Jays jerseys?

I like what Toronto has done with their logo; Bringing the old school feel back, with a touch of some younger swag!

Who would you compare your game most to?

Its tough to find a guy to compare my game to but I think I try to approach the game like Craig Kimbrel(Braves), and I have similar mechanics to Felix Hernandez(Mariners) and Roy Halladay(Phillies). 

What part of your game do you think you need to work on the most?

I think I need to build some more consistency with my secondary pitches to become more successful.

What has been your favorite moment so far in your baseball career?

Aside from being picked in the fourth round a few days ago, playing in a Regional Championship my junior year at Stetson against South Carolina is something I will always remember vividly.

I would like thank Tucker for taking the time to do this interview, and wish him luck as he tries to get to Toronto as fast as possible!

Update
Baseball America released how much Tucker has signed for today(June 14th), and it was $5000.

You can follow me on twitter, @gideonturk.
To connect with the site, Follow us on Twitter, and Like us on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment