Sunday, May 13, 2012

Interview with Blue Jays Prospect Mark Biggs

In the 8th round of last season's draft, the Blue Jays selected Mark Biggs out of High School. The Kentucky native did not play in the minors last season, but will be making his Blue Jays Minor League debut sometime next month when he will head out to a short season team. Currently, Biggs who is 6 feet 3 inches tall is at extended Spring Training in Dunedin, Florida. I had the pleasure of asking him some questions, and I will now share the interview with you.

BJP:How has Extended spring training gone so far, and do you know or have a hunch of where you’ll be starting the year at?
Extended spring training has went well thus far, I've learned alot and feel like I have gotten better! I don't really know where I'll be starting this year, but wherever it is I am just going to go out and work hard everyday and try to keep improving.

BJP:You recently lost your father, how has that impacted your play, and is there one specific thing in baseball that has helped you a lot that your Dad taught you?
Losing my father during spring training was very tough, but it has taught me to take nothing for granted. I'm lucky enough to be doing what I love everyday so I try to go out everyday and work hard because you don't ever know how much time you have left. The things that he taught me that help me in baseball apply to all things in life. He always taught me to work for everything I want because nothing in this world is handed to you, and that especially holds true in baseball.
Biggs (Your Right) with JaysProspect Robert Osuna(Left)



BJP:What number will you be wearing and why?
I don't know what number I will wear during the year but if I had to choose it would be #3 because thats the number I always had growing up playing ball.

BJP:Which Blue Jays coach has helped you the most in extended and what did they teach you?
I feel like all the coaches in extended have helped me improve in some way. Whether it be from my mechanics to the mental side of the game, all the coaches have helped me one way or another.

BJP:Going into the draft, did you know you were likely going to the Jays, or were you shocked to find that out?
Before the draft, the Jays showed a lot of interest so I knew going to them would be a real possibility but I didn't know for sure which team would select me. Afterwards, I realized that this was a great organization to be a part of and I'm thankful that they selected me and gave me this opportunity.

BJP:Can you let us fans know what type of pitches you have in your repertoire?
I throw four pitches right now. I throw a four-seam fastball, a sinker, a changeup, and a curveball.

BJP:You must be very happy and excited to be able to work with the coaches in the Blue Jays system, which is one of the best in the league. Is their one aspect of your game that you would like to see a significant improvement on this season?
The one aspect of my game that I would like to significantly improve on this season is being able to throw my offspeed pitches for strikes in any count. Fastball command is first priority but being able to throw my offspeed pitches for strikes will allow me to be more effective.

BJP:You must be hearing that Lansing’s rotation is tearing up the Midwest league. Did you see anything in Spring training in Aaron Sanchez, Justin Nicolino, and Noah Syndergaard that really stood out from most pitchers?
Obviously the God-given talent with those three pitchers is evident, but what I saw that separates them from the pack is their work ethic. I felt like they came to work everyday with the mindset of working hard and getting better. Those qualities along with their talent makes them that much better.


BJP:What do you think of the new Blue Jays jerseys?
I love the new Jays jerseys and logos. I feel like the change in logo symbolizes how the organization as a whole is making changes in order to be the best.

I would like to thank Mark for doing this interview and taking the time to answer the questions. We here at BlueJaysPlus wish him all the best in his quest to make it to the major leagues!

Comments are welcomed below, and make sure you follow me on Twitter, @Gideonturk. Mark also has twitter, and he can be followed at the username @Mark_Biggs.

To connect with the site, Follow us on Twitter, and Like us on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to watching him grow and progress. From what I have seen, this kid is going to be a stand out one day.

    ReplyDelete